It is so easy to get derailed from our attempts to improve our health through nutrition and fitness. These are some of my favorite tips to staying on track with my health goals.
1. Plan ahead – Doing food preparation in advance and having healthy snacks on hand is one way to avoid food emergencies and poor choices.
2. Cut out sugar, and artificial sweeteners – The average American consumes 130 lbs of sugar a year! These three things will cause more cravings and work against as you try to reach your goals.
3. Eat whole foods and avoid processed foods – A good basic rule of thumb: If God made it, eat it. If man made it, leave it!
4. Drink more water – Aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces each day. Often we think we are hungry but we are really thirsty and drinking a glass of water can also help to curb cravings.
5. Eat lots of vegetables – These are high in fiber and will fill you up and give your body many of the nutrients that it needs. Get creative! Try new veggies and test out new recipes until you find some that you love.
Make protein 25% of your diet – Protein fills you up and regulates your blood sugar.
7. Manage your stress – Exercise, prayer and praise music are some of the ways I manage stress. Oh and dance parties with my kids! Those knock stress to the curb FAST! : )
8. Follow the 90/10 Rule – I eat “clean” 90% of the time, but do plan in advance for some occasional treats.
9. Get moving – Schedule exercise just like you would anything else. I schedule it twice a day and then if I get it done early in the morning I reward myself by doing something that I love in the 2nd schedule block. If I don’t get it done early, I have to do it during that 2nd time slot.
10. Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night – Our bodies need sleep to function properly!
Instead of trying to change everything at once. Pick one of the things on this list that you need to improve and tackle it this week! I’d love to hear which you will focus on. Email me and let me know so that I can help to hold you accountable!