It IS possible to lose weight over the holiday season, but you’ll need a plan.
Our traditional holiday dishes are delicious but tend to be loaded with calories and fat. We all too often enjoy them momentarily and pay for them for weeks to come. Did you know the average weight gain during the holidays is 2-7 pounds? (This number varies on the study quoted.) I challenge you to decide in advance if you will aim to lose or maintain your weight over the next 6 weeks? It’s your choice and there is no wrong answer, but deciding in advance can help you to take steps help you stay on track. Here are some of my favorite tips to stay on track and lose weight over the next month, while still enjoying the holidays and some favorite foods.
- Track or write down everything you eat. Even if it’s a terrible eating day, write it down. All too often we go into the holidays blindly, not realizing the amount of food that we are eating.
- Plan ahead. Eat a snack before you go to a holiday gathering, so that you aren’t starving when you arrive.
- Focus on the people and not the food! Celebrate with rich conversation, laughter, and making memories and not calories and a plate of food that will soon be forgotten.
- Pick your favorite food (regardless of how unhealthy it is) and fill the rest of your plate with healthier choices and appropriate sized portions. Indulging in and savoring your favorite treat or dish will keep you from feeling deprived.
- Get moving. Head outside with your loved ones for a game of football or a walk.
Please reach out to me if there is anything that I can do to support you as you. Click here!