It is so easy to get derailed from our attempts to improve our health through nutrition and fitness. These are some of my top tips that will staying on track with your health goals and will help to get you back on track when you’ve fallen off the wagon.
1. Plan ahead – Doing food preparation in advance and having healthy snacks on hand is one way to avoid food emergencies and poor choices. I meal plan each Sunday, followed by a trip to the grocery store. My meal plan goes on the refrigerator to remind me of the healthy options that I can make.
2. Cut out sugar, artificial sweeteners, and processed foods – The average American consumes 130 lbs of sugar a year! These three things will cause more cravings and work against as you try to reach your goals.
3. Drink more water – Aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces each day. Often we think we are hungry but we are really thirsty and drinking a glass of water can also help to curb cravings.
4. Make protein at least 25% of your diet – Protein fills you up and regulates your blood sugar.
5. Fill up on veggies – Find new recipes that include vegetables that you love. Vegetables are typically low in calories but high in fiber and nutrients. If you need some ideas click here.
6. Manage your stress – Exercise, deep breathing, prayer and praise music are some of the ways I manage stress. Oh and dance parties with my kids! Those knock stress to the curb FAST!
7. Follow the 90/10 Rule – I eat “clean” 90% of the time, but do plan in advance for some treats. Knowing that I can enjoy treats is what keeps me on track the rest of the time.
8. Get moving – Schedule it just like you would anything else. I schedule it twice a day and then if I get it done early in the morning I reward myself by doing something that I love in the 2nd schedule block. If I don’t get it done early, I have to do it during that 2nd time slot.
9. Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night – Our bodies need sleep to function properly!
10. Find an accountability partner – Having an accountability partner helps to make you think twice before making choices. Share your goals with someone who will help to keep you on track.
Instead of trying to change everything at once. Pick one of the things on this list that you need to improve and tackle it this week! I’d love to hear which you will focus on. Contact me below and let me know so that I can help to hold you accountable!